The GRC is engaged in health care projects around the world. In cooperation with its NationalRed Cross and Red Crescent Societies, the GRC takes rapid and specific action in disaster and conflict regions and also improves the health care situation in developing countries in the long-term.
The GRC is part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement. In all its health care related projects the GRC is always cooperating with the National Red Cross or Red Crescent Society in the respective countries. . Through this excellent network of National Societies the GRC always has access to important information about the humanitarian situation and the health and hygiene situation in the most vulnerable communities. As a result the GRC is always well informed and can provide specific support to the National Societies and communities in need within a short time.
Emergency relief in crisis and disaster situations
The GRC has developed excellent expertise to respond to crises and disasters with the main focus to strengthen the basic health care situation in the affected countries. In addition, specific Emergency Response Units (ERUs) can be deployed in the event of crises or disasters in close cooperation with the National Societies. These ERUs support the local staff in the areas of health care, water supply and provision of hygiene while other relief supplies are able to cover the most important needs.
An overview of the emergency relief measures of the GRC:
- Analysis and strengthening of existing health structures (hospitals, health authorities, etc.)
- Strengthening of basic health care and hygiene promotion
- Mobilization of Emergency Response Units
- Psychosocial support for the most vulnerable population groups
- Early analysis and improvement of the medium-term and long-term needs in primary health care
Enhancement of health care
It is not only in emergency situations that the GRC provides medical assistance. The sustainable improvement of the basic health care situation in developing countries is a central area of work in all phases of the GRC's international cooperation. The main focus is to support the most vulnerable people in their health and their access to adequate health care.. This includes comprehensive and sustainable assistance in the areas of nutrition, hygiene, water and sanitation in cooperation with the National Societies. The population is always involved in the planning and implementation of all health related measures.
An overview of the long-term health measures of the GRC
- Health promotion to enable individuals and communities to improve their health situation with regard to hygiene, improved and diversified diet and preventive health care - especially in schools
- Training of people in first aid
- Improvement of the access to quality primary health care services for the population
- Support and training of the National Red Cross and Red Crescent Society staff
- Strengthening of the National Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies as important stakeholder for primary health care on local, regional and national level.
- Networking with other important stakeholders in the context of primary health care and using relevant synergies.