Get involved. Join the German Red Cross as a delegate on an international humanitarian mission.
Head of Office (m/f/d), Sudan
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking an experienced Head of Office (m/f/d) responsible for leading the GRC Country Office in Sudan and the project management of a WASH/Health/DRR project implemented in North Darfur.
GRC has a long-standing partnership with the Sudanese Red Crescent Society (SRCS). Currently, GRC and SRCS collaborate in the implementation of a diverse portfolio of humanitarian projects in North Darfur, Eastern Sudan and Blue Nile, funded mainly through the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and the German Ministry of Foreign Affairs (AA). Currently, the programmatic focus is on Food Security and Livelihoods, DRR, WASH, Health as well as emergency response (e.g. floods). GRC is committed to support its Sister Society where possible – through joint programs, exchange of knowledge as well as technical and managerial support. In addition to technical support around Cash and Voucher Assistance (CVA), it is also being considered to support SRCS in the roll-out of a Forecast-based-Financing system (FbF).
The Head of Office (HoO) is based in Khartoum and works in the premises of the SRCS HQ. He directly supervises the GRC finance delegate and project delegates, who are based in the project regions. The position requires regular field visits. The HoO reports to the GRC country manager at GRC HQ.
Starting date: 01.06.2021 (preferably)
Duration: 24 months (with possible extension)
Location: Khartoum / Sudan with regular field visits
Main duties & responsibilities:
- Ensure and facilitate close coordination and cooperation with SRCS and further develop the GRC country strategy and profile accordingly.
- Support and advise SRCS in building and strengthening their capacities and programmes in line with jointly identified priority areas.
- Manage and further develop existing structures and procedures of the GRC Country Office, including finance, procurement, HR, security, inventories, fixed and financial assets following GRC guidelines and procedures.
- Direct line-management of GRC delegates and support staff development and capacity building of national and international team.
- Explore funding opportunities and support the preparation of successful concept notes and project proposals in line with the GRC country strategy.
- Monitor and analysis of all relevant socio-political developments in country with a particular focus on the humanitarian sector and disaster management.
- Oversee and support all GRC/SRCS projects to ensure high programme quality and secure full compliance with donor regulations and GRC policies, in close coordination with the finance and project delegates. This includes financial management and expenditure tracking, program monitoring, narrative and financial reporting, etc.
- Ensure visibility and information sharing on GRC/SRCS programmes with all stakeholders, including project beneficiaries, partners and local authorities as well as donors.
- Represent GRC at country level and maintain close cooperation with the RC/RC Movement, the Government, the German Embassy, other relevant international and national external aid agencies as well as external donors and the media.
- Ensure consistent communication and coordination between GRC country office and GRC HQ.
- In addition to the role of Head of Office, fully manage the implementation of the above mentioned AA-funded WASH/Health/DRR project in North Darfur in close coordination with the local SRCS branch, project team and volunteers by ensuring timely and effective implementation of activities according to approved budget and work plan thereby following donor and GRC requirements and regulations.
Required Competencies & Skills:
- At least five years of experience in the field of international cooperation, including substantial experience working in humanitarian crisis and or development contexts.
- Prior experience in leading/managing a country office for a humanitarian organisation, or similar, desirable.
- Excellent programme coordination and project management skills (including financial management; budgeting, monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance, reporting, etc.)
- Personal management and security management experience.
- Technical background in one or more of the following areas: WASH, Health, DRR, Food Security/Livelihoods, Forecast-based Financing, Cash and Voucher Assistance is an asset.
- Familiarity with East Africa, Sudan is an asset.
- Substantial experience in implementing donor-funded projects, experience with AA, BMZ, ECHO, DEVCO is a strong asset.
- Proven expertise in capacity-building and organizational development, experience in working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement is a strong asset.
- Strategic thinking, hands-on mentality and in-depth understanding of the humanitarian system.
- Excellent communication, leadership skills and problem-solving skills as well as intercultural sensitivity, diplomacy and facilitation skills.
- Oral and written fluency in English, knowledge of Arabic and/or German is an advantage
- Ability to work independently, highly solution-oriented and as a team member.
- Excellent computer skills (spreadsheets, word-processing, databases and other programs).
- Readiness to travel to and work in remote areas is essential. Experience of living and working in insecure and conflict-affected environments is an asset.
- Agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles.
- Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments.
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'.
- Valid Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. You will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings and coaching prior as well as during and after your mission. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 18.04.2021.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2021-031 with your application.
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz e.V. Generalsekretariat