Get involved. Join the German Red Cross as a delegate on an international humanitarian mission.
Head of Office (m/f/d), Morocco
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Head of Office (m/f/d) for Morocco
GRC is currently supporting projects implemented by the Moroccan Red Crescent Society (MRCS) that include a community based DRR program in schools, a Resilience project with a special focus on health and education, as well as a project that aims to introduce the Forecast based Financing mechanism in MRCS and the disaster management system in Morocco in general. The position will be based in Rabat, Morocco, with frequent travels within the country.
Duration: 01.07.2020 – 30.06.2021, 12 months (with possible extension)
Location: Rabat / Morocco
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Represent the German Red Cross to the MRCS and other partners in the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement as well as national authorities and further develop the strategic partnership on all levels;
- Represent the German Red Cross vis-à-vis donors (BMZ, private foundations and other institutional donors) and potential partners (German development organisations, international and national organisations) as well as national and international media;
- Manage GRC operations and cooperation activities, in accordance with approved plans, regulations and policies;
- Pursue and maintain an excellent and well-established relationship with MRCS
- Lead and own the review and update of the GRC strategy for Morocco in close cooperation with the Head of Office MENA (HoO MENA), regional Program Advisors, and the dedicated focal point of MRCS (incl. identification of new activities for GRC’s support to MRCS);
- Follow-up on sector related and relevant political developments to steer the identification of new activities and develop project proposals for donor submission;
- Ensure effective and qualitative management of all GRC activities and programmes in Morocco in accordance with approved plans and regulations;
- Administrative coordination of the regional project “Strengthening of institutional Structures for school-based Disaster Risk Reduction and Resilience Enhancement in Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, Morocco and Egypt “, funded by the BMZ;
- Provide guidance and technical support to MRCS Organizational Development processes upon request and in close coordination with other Movement partners and relevant stakeholders.
- Communicate learning from projects (lessons learned, best practices) to relevant MENA and HQ teams.
Finances and Compliance:
- Manage GRC own funds and donor project funds, including:
- financial forecasting,
- spending analysis,
- project and budget amendments if/when needed,
- financial and narrative reporting, and
- monthly and annual closure of accounts.
- Ensure compliance of project implementation with GRC and donor procedures and regulations
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in the field of emergency relief and/or development programs including Disaster Risk Reduction, Disaster Management, Community-based approaches etc.;
- Previous experience in Forecast Based Financing is an asset;
- Understanding of and proven experience in integrated programming;
- Experience in strategy development processes and organizational development;
- Strategic thinking, hands-on mentality and in depth understanding of the humanitarian system (preferably RCRC movement);
- Proven programmatic, administrative, financial and organisational understanding and skills;
- Proven experience in monitoring, evaluation and quality assurance;
- Working experience in the MENA region is an asset.
- Previous experience of working for the Red Cross/Red Crescent Movement and experience in working closely with a National Society is an asset;
- Proven representation skills
- Profound understanding of ‘localisation’ and partnership work;
- Proven budget and project management skills
- Excellent communication and conflict resolution skills;
- Profound experience in working with local partners, including in an advisory and coaching role, and engaging in high-level strategic discussions;
- Experience in working with different donors (German Ministries, ECHO, DEVCO etc.);
- Ability to work result-oriented, independently and as a team member.
Security/Language/ Personal skills:
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles and the German Red Cross Code of Conduct;
- Oral and written fluency in English and French, any additional language (especially German and/or Arabic) is of advantage;
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions';
- Cultural sensitivity, underpinned by substantial working experience outside her/his home country;
- Committed to prevent and combat any occurrence of bullying, intimidation, harassment, abuse and exploitation, including of sexual nature, in the workplace and with regards to recipients of aid;
- Valid International Driving Licence.
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural regional team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering one home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment. Furthermore, Morocco is an accompanied posting.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.de) until 01.03.2020.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2020-018 with your application.
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz e.V.
- Generalsekretariat -
Team Justitiariat und Personal
- SG Personal -